Useful Narrative Essay Writing Tips
The first thing that comes to our minds at the mention of narrative writing is storytelling. While this is true of narrative essays, they are not entirely about fictional writing. A narrative could be about anything. It may involve combining both personal storytelling and academic arguments. Therefore, your work is to make sure that you give a story around an object or an experience you have had in your life.
There are universal lessons that can be learnt through narrations drawn from unique world experiences. To succeed in writing a narrative, you should be knowledgeable enough with your chosen topic. Even though not much research is required, proper planning is needed for great essay writing. Therefore, you need the skills that will help you present a sound and logical storytelling backed up by experiences and facts.
How to Write a Narrative Essay
If you have been asked to write a narrative essay, the best approach would be to plan for the essay. Here is what you need to do to succeed in writing your narrative:
- Develop the essay topic. As much as you feel ready with the details of your essay, it is important to come up with a great topic for it. Do your research to identify the most appropriate heading for your essay. It should be captivating and appealing to your audience.
- Write an outline. Prepare a list of items that will be captured in the development of your essay. This outline should follow the general essay structure: introduction, body and the conclusion. However, you can include a few more items in each of the broad categories to help you write the essay to the required length.
- Introduce the essay well. Your introduction is the first section of your narrative essay. Therefore, you should make it as interesting as possible. A good way to get started with it would be by using a quote or relevant phrase to draw the attention of your audience.
- Divide your essay into paragraphs. Avoid putting huge chunks of information in one paragraph. Split all your information into smaller paragraphs to make your essay easy to read and follow through. These paragraphs should be guided by the outline that you have already drafted.
To flow easily, just write your essay without worrying about grammar. You will find time to do corrections in the end. You obviously do not want to get distracted along the way as you develop your story. This is key in narrative essay writing.
- Review your essay after writing. Upon the completion of your given essay, ensure that you proofread it. Look for any typos and errors that might interfere with the meaning of your story. Remember to do this to capture the real details of your essay.
Proper planning and preparation for narrative essay writing give you the ability to accomplish your assignment as required. Work with an outline all the time. You will get to make the most of this writing opportunity if you do so!